Sunday, April 15, 2007

18, November - the Shack


Arrived okay at the Shack (even if it did take a whole day and these bones were not the same afterwards) and I was greeted warmly by everyone outside - Gin had a cold - that boy never wraps up and necromancy too. Heavens knows where he’ll end up. I wonder if he’s a member of the Brotherhood of Bones? I’ll have to ask him sometime.
Delion, Greca, Anentor and That were all away when I arrived. I was looking forward to seeing everyone again. Oh well - beggars can’t be choosers.
The Shack was the usual mess; dust caking the floors; spiders dancing on the rooftops - something’s just never change (oddly reassuring in a strange sort of way). Which is why I immediately felt compelled to grab a sweeping brush and clean the place up (hopefully it will give me an excuse to get into the wine cellar and sneak a quick - well not too quick - drink).
I got through the hallway first, with Terena lingering by my shoulder begging me to just sit down for five minutes. I had to get her off my back by chasing her off into the living room with the brush. In the end, when I reached the kitchen, Redwick wouldn’t let me into the cellar.
“I still don’t trust you Hester,” he said, “Not after last time.” Just because I drank some… half… okay, I admit, most of the cellars store. I had a good excuse too. But anyways that’s a story for another time.
The day wore into the night and I took a bottle of whiskey and nestled into that armchair that is so very and drowsily comfortable by the hearth.
The room was dark - fire dead and candles snuffed - when I woke. Everyone else had gone to bed (except for Cidius - he’s been drinking too and lay strewn across the couch) and I trudged up the stairs into my old bedroom. It was good to be back to a true home with a family (and of course my store of whiskey beneath the leftmost floorboard in my bedroom).


- Hester

No comments: